Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cabbage Casserole

And one more...because I'm on a roll tonight. This is what we had for dinner. I think it's pretty tasty.
This is pretty much the only way I like cabbage. Nice, soft, and smothered in tomato sauce. I got this recipe from my Grandma while I lived with her, who got it from her friend. So, I guess you could call it a grandma recipe, one that's all healthy, like those recipes with lots of beans.
Shred 1/2 head cabbage into an 11x13 pan
Brown 1 cube margarine, 1/2 onion and hamburger in a skillet. You decide how much hamburger. I used 1 lb.
When all that is nicely browned put it over the cabbage.
Then over all that pour 1-1/2 cups of boiling water and 2 cans of tomato sauce. You can use regular tomato sauce or go for one of those seasoned varieties, those would be good too.
Cover the pan with foil and bake at 375 for 1 hour. That's it. After waiting an hour for it to cook, you'll be nice and hungry too. =)

2 comments:

  1. So, with a cube of butter to you mean a piece (like a tablespoon) or a whole stick??? That seems like a lot of butter to fry the meat in? At any rate, I love cabbage, so I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a whole stick...but that's because I love butter, you could fry it in whatever you want though, like olive oil would probably taste great as well.

    ReplyDelete